Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2007

On the Subject of "Cool"


I have a deep, dark secret to tell. I am not a 'cool' person. This has never been a real problem for me, even in high school when it apparently bothers most people. I moved around too much to really care about cultivating a 'cool' image… a 'real' image was far more convenient and beneficial for me. Recently, though, I find myself surrounded on all sides by people who are, in my estimation, very cool. They seem to think I'm one of them. It scares me spitless. I have this little voice in the back of my head that says, "Don't get too close, Z. Don't get too comfortable. One day they're all going to realize what a dork you really are."

I promise that I'm not trying to be someone else in front of these people. I think that is actually the crux of the problem. I'm being myself, wholly and completely, and they still keep calling! They find my 'real' self to be a little bit 'cool'. The scary part is finding out that maybe, just maybe, I'm not the complete dork I thought I was. No, wait. That's not true. I KNOW I'm a dork. Maybe my dorkiness just isn't as bad as I've always thought. After all, God made me this way, didn't he?

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: I'm good enough for God to like me so why shouldn't I be good enough for 'cool' people to like me, too? 'Dorkiness' and all.



-Zonoma

Jeremiah 29:11  "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." 

No comments: