Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

tap, tap, tap


The little cardinal is back this morning. She comes tapping on the dining room window several times each day. Her persistence is both heart-warming and frustrating. I hate watching her beat her delicate beak against the glass over and over again. At times, my foolish nature overtakes me and I set out a plate of seeds on the table and open the window. The invitation frightens her, though, and she flies away and refuses to return until I shut the window again. I've left the window open for hours at a time but, to my knowledge, she's never ventured inside my home.

This morning as I was watching her, it occurred to me that I am not so different from her. Like the cardinal, I bang my head against a barrier that I can neither see nor comprehend in a desperate effort to enter into the Kingdom of God. I have to wonder: Have there been moments when God's compassion for me overwhelmed Him? Has He opened a window? And have I, like my feathered friend, become suddenly frightened and flown away until the window was closed, the opportunity passed, and I felt safe again?

Dear One, let not fear of the unknown keep me from entering into those places which You invite me!


Matthew 7:7

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

No comments: