Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How to Build Stacking Box Shelves

I've wanted more shelving in my little studio that I carved out of the attic in our Cape Cod home for a while but I could never figure out exactly what kind I wanted. Then I had a brilliant idea. Well, to be fair, all of my ideas are brilliant but this was one of my personal favorites. Instead of building shelves, I built boxes! My fear of commitment and my long history of moving that makes me love the versatility of these Stacking Shelves. The idea that I can add on to them at any time doesn't hurt, either.  Now, if I could just commit to filling those embarrassingly empty picture frames...


You will need:
Untreated Lumber (2x8x?)
Wood Screws
Pencil
Drill
Saw
Speed Square
Sander
Primer, Paint, and Brush


1.  Measure.  Decide what you want to store on your shelves and the length of wall you have to work with. I chose 2x10 lumber because I store many larger cookbooks, binders, sketchbooks, and storage boxes. You might want 2x6 or 2x8 if you have mass market paperbacks. Also be certain that you have at least two boxes the same size for a base.



2. Sketch. Draw out your ideas! Don't worry, you don't have to be an artist and no one is grading you. I find that, as a visual person, it really helps the creative process. I recommend graph paper and a ruler.



3. Cut. Make sure your cuts are even and straight. You can use the Speed Square to help you.

4. Assemble. Using the Speed Square to ensure a 90 degree angle each time, screw the cut pieces together in a box.

5. Sand. Unless you don't care about splinters, sand down any rough edges.


6. Prime and Paint. Take your time! Allow each coat to dry completely before rotating it. Honestly, I found this was the most time consuming part of the entire process.

7. Throw a Party. Invite all your friends over to see what you built.

8. Send a picture to Soggy Weeds and Bee Spit.



Happy Building!
-Zonoma


No comments: